Ridgefield is an absolutely fabulous place to raise a family! Excellent schools, plenty of activities, the first Cultural District in the state of Connecticut, close proximity to NYC and it’s consistently one of the safest towns in America.
So you just moved here and have kids in elementary and/or middle schools. Welcome! Now what? Our first recommendation is to get connected to the Ridgefield Newcomers, Ridgefield Moms Club, or another group where you can meet other families who are new to town.
Our area is home to plenty of parks, museums and playgrounds that you can check out with your little ones. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Ballard Park in downtown Ridgefield has a fabulous new playground, beautiful gazebo and lovely gardens plus fabulous free CHIRP concerts in the summer.
- Ambler Farm in Wilton celebrates our community’s agrarian roots through active learning programs, sustainable agriculture, responsible land stewardship, and historic preservation. They hold plenty of programs year-round and are home to many animals you can visit every day.
- Woodcock Nature Center in Wilton offers terrific hiking trails and camps.
- Stepping Stones Children’s Museum and The Maritime Aquarium are both located in Norwalk with plenty of programs for kids of all ages.
- Silverman’s Farm in Easton is home to a petting zoo and plenty of pick-your-own fruit orchards.
The Boys & Girls Club of Ridgefield is an outstanding organization that I’ve been proud to support for many years. They offer an incredible variety of programs and services, including their Torch Club which is a National leadership and service club for Middle School Age Club members. The program focuses on character development, community service, and social skills in a fun and creative environment.
Head to the Ridgefield Library and learn more about their many programs for children, including Reading to ROAR (Ridgefield Operation for Animal Rescue), Scrabble Club STEAM Corner, and Chess Club. They also have plenty of programs, seminars and book clubs for parents, and their daily newsletter contains a lot of valuable community resources.
Don’t miss The Prospector Theater, a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to providing competitive and integrated employment to people with disabilities through the operation of a premium, first-run movie theater located right here in Ridgefield. In addition to their incredible mission, they show family-friendly movies and serve gourmet treats. Plus, it’s a fabulous date night destination!
Ridgefield Parks and Rec offers a plethora of classes and activities, from aquatics and dance to glee club and drop-in courses.
We highly recommend you subscribe to newsletters like Hamlet Hub for more information on what’s happening here in town!
We are proud to welcome you to our community and hope you love it as much as we do!