https://karlamurtaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/prospector-theater-2020.jpg 1001 1500 Karla Murtaugh https://karlamurtaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/logo-karla.png Karla Murtaugh2022-02-15 17:00:152022-02-15 17:00:15We Love Fairfield County Giving Day!
We Love Fairfield County Giving Day!
One of our favorite things about Ridgefield is the philanthropic nature of this community. There are so many outstanding organizations working tirelessly every day to make this world a better place, and it’s our honor to support them. In honor of Fairfield County Giving Day, a 24-hour challenge and our region’s biggest philanthropic event coming up on February 24, it’s our pleasure to outline just a few of the wonderful charities based here in Ridgefield. Most of them are participating in Fairfield County Giving Day so be sure to check them out on social media for details:
- The Prospector Theater is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to providing competitive and integrated employment to people with disabilities through the operation of a premium, first-run movie theater. Almost 85% of Americans with disabilities are unemployed. Open every day of the year, the Prospector Theater was built as a solution to this problem. Meaningful employment is vital to a person’s mental, social, financial, and emotional health. For more information please visit http://www.prospectortheater.org/.
- The Ridgefield Boys & Girls Club has long been a cause very close to my heart. The Boys & Girls Club of Ridgefield is a youth activity center designed to offer programs for school-aged children after school and during vacations in five core areas: The Arts, Character & Leadership, Education, Health & Life Skills, and Sports, Fitness & Recreation.
Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of boys & girls by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging and influence. Together with my friend Christine Carnicelli, I was lucky enough to be honored as the 2020 Champion For Youth, while Christine received the 2021 honor at their most recent gala. To learn more please visit http://www.bgcridgefield.org/.
- The Ridgefield Symphony Orchestra (RSO) is a regional professional orchestra founded in 1964 with the mission to enrich the cultural life of the citizens of Ridgefield and surrounding communities by presenting professional live orchestral concerts. The RSO also strives to increase the appreciation for music through community involvement and educational programs for people of all ages and abilities. We have enjoyed many of their wonderful performances at the Ridgefield Playhouse and the Ridgefield High School auditorium! For more information please visit http://www.ridgefieldsymphony.org/.
- RVNAhealth (formerly RVNA or Ridgefield Visiting Nurse Association) is a private, non-profit, mission-driven organization founded and focused on care. RVNAhealth provides healthcare where patients want it most – in their own homes, while striving to prevent further illness through many health and wellness programs. Their experienced team of caregivers provides home health care services in the comfort of your ‘home’ whether it is a private residence, assisted living or skilled nursing facility, or hospital, and also in their ‘home’ at the Center for Exceptional Care in Ridgefield, and across the 36 surrounding towns they serve. RVNAhealth is always planning an enjoyable fundraiser and we’ve enjoyed several of their events including the upcoming annual Spring Breakfast! To learn more please visit http://www.RVNAhealth.org/.
- The Iris Fund was founded several years ago by a Ridgefield resident and is dedicated to research that will determine what triggers full-term labor to end pre-term birth. The Iris Fund exclusively supports the research being conducted by a Mechanical Engineer and OBGYN (Drs. Myers and Vink) at Columbia’s Preterm Birth Prevention Center. They believe all women deserve to know how their bodies work during labor and are inspired that those same answers will save and improve outcomes for our most vulnerable babies. The Iris Fund also recently partnered with The Tiny Miracles Foundation and local florist Three Roots Education to deliver fifty beautiful floral bouquets to moms spending Valentine’s Day in local NICUs. For details please visit https://www.theirisfund.org/.
- Lyme Connection provides education, prevention, support and advocacy related to the increasing problem of tick-borne diseases in our community. Lyme Disease is a huge issue in our area, and Lyme Connection is a unique community-based organization, founded by families impacted by tickborne disease. They offer prevention programming as well as patient support services and educational events. Lyme patients and their families benefit from free monthly support groups, seminars, annual conference and health fairs. Medical and mental health providers take part in the professional programs Lyme Connection offers to improve patient care. To learn more please visit https://lymeconnection.org/.
- The Ridgefield Theater Barn was founded in 1965 when a handful of Ridgefield residents banded together to form a small theater group dedicated to providing community theater. Housed in a rustic converted dairy barn leased from the town of Ridgefield, the Workshop continues to produce an ongoing series of comedies, dramas, and musicals. The cast and crew of every show run the gamut from raw amateurs to seasoned professionals. All participants, whether on stage or off, are volunteers, including actors, dancers, musicians, seamstresses, carpenters, singers, electricians, and individuals who just offer willing pairs of hands to do anything from painting scenery to taking tickets at the door. With cabaret seating at candlelit tables, they offer superior entertainment, so BYO refreshments and join us!